Thursday, January 15, 2009

Use this space to analyze class readings, lectures, discussions or presentations. You are welcome to introduce current events, but please do integrate them with the readings and discussions.
Weekly entries count towards your participation grade!

1 comment:

AlyssaVS said...

I hope this is the right blog! I don't see any other posts...

My comment this week would be about the concept of tied aid. Previously, I did not have a clear picture of what tied aid was, and had assumed it was like grants, basically just aid with strings attached, with specific purposes. I have been thinking about the purpose of sending aid to a foreign country to buy your products.

Mostly I have been wondering about the morality and effectiveness of this type of aid. I would love to see some more information on the the types of goods tied aid is usually given to buy. Because, as I see it, if tied-aid is given for products that you want to be bought from your own country (the donor country), but the products are also things that you know will be useful to the recipient country, I think it seems fairly moral and effective. Perhaps not all that different from aid given for security or economic interests. But if this money is given just to take a bunk of leftover goods you don't want anymore, I think tied aid has many problems. It seems like a desperate attempt to look humanitarian. Secondly, it's only wasting time and bureaucratic efforts in countries that have many other, larger issues on their plate.

Does anyone know of specific cases of tied aid that have been particularly effective (or ineffective)? I'd be interested in that.